jaelie: (Jaelie)
I have a rule with my kiddos. They must make up their mind on their Halloween costume by October 1. This gives me plenty of time to (procrastinate and finally) make the costumes. If they change their mind in the subsequent weeks before Halloween, they must make do with something from the costume box.

So, we have been watching the Lord of the Rings as a family in the past two weeks. As you can probably guess, someone changed their mind about the costume they want to wear for Halloween. Morgan decided he wanted to be Frodo for Halloween instead of Link.

Lucky for him, I had several years ago stumbled across a rustic, collarless shirt and waistcoat at a thrift store in a size 6. I bought it, because it was perfect for Victorian stuff and my tiny boy would one day be big enough. And my pack-rat, opportunistic ways paid off!

I pulled the shirt and waistcoat out, some breeches that I inherited from Jen's son, and a cloak from the costume box. I present to you Frodo Baggins of the Shire:

Untitled

((P.S. Thanks for making it easy on me, my son. I'm glad I worked on Vee's costume first.))

((P.P.S. in honor of our viewing fun, we also decided to have a hobbit feast.))

Dinner today, based somewhat on the meal that Bilbo fed to the unexpected visitors:
Untitled

Cookbook I found and bought, although the above meal wasn't derived from it, heh:
Untitled
jaelie: (Jaelie)
I made some good progress on Vee's costume. For those of you that don't remember, here is a reference photo:
Untitled

In true "me" fashion, I wanted this to be comfortable for daily wear (since I pretty much let my kids wear their costumes whenever they want), so I went with recycled t-shirts. Crazy, but knit is so easy to work with, and comfortable, and cheap, that I seem to lean towards that for my kiddos' costumes.

What the skirt started out as:
Untitled

The process was so simple to make the skirt that I didn't really bother to take progress photos. I turned the t-shirt into four gores and sewed them together, then stuck them onto a 2 inch elastic waistband. Finished skirt:
Untitled

For the shirt, I pulled out one of my old patterns from a few years ago. I wanted raglan style sleeves with the peasant blouse style top, so this is the shirt pattern I modified:
Untitled

Here is what the pattern looked like after I made my modifications:
Untitled

I went ahead and used some more recycled t-shirts. Can't beat $0.50. Heh. Yellow part of the shirt:
Untitled

And the white part of the shirt:
Untitled

I found some elastic glitter ribbon for basically $1/yard. I love this stuff because it's washable and doesn't shed. I had a small, much more expensive piece of glitter ribbon that I had put on her Elsa dress from three(?) years ago and it's still shiny. So... glitter down the front:
Untitled

And glitter on the scallops:
Untitled

Then I found a piece of plastic and cut that in a cirlce, used some t-shirt scraps and make the bow for the shirt:
Untitled

And here she is, basics done:
Untitled

I still need to do all the accessories; however, I am taking a break from Vee's costume to work on Morgan's Link so that they'll both have at the very least the basic costume for my church Trunk or Treat. After I finish Morgan's basics, I'm going to work on both of their wigs. I'm leaning toward fleece....

October 2016

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
91011121314 15
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 19th, 2017 01:28 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios